You go down into your basement and you are hit with a musty, earthy smell. Does this mean there is mold taking root in your basement? It certainly is a possibility, and if there is any chance, you do not want to ignore that smell. Mold can cause serious and expensive problems with your home, so you definitely want to catch it early. Luckily, giving off odor is one of the first signs of mold growth, so if you cannot see anything, you probably caught it early.

The smell of mold has been described as “mildewy” or “urine-like.” If you smell something like this, start looking for moisture. Mold cannot get a foothold without a lot of moisture. If you find a leaky pipe and the smell seems to come from that area, mold is almost a guarantee.